October 11, 2009

Week 7 - First Retightening



Woke up on yesterday to frigid temperatures and snow but not even the weather could deter me from getting to my 8 a.m. appointment.  I was eager to get my first "reti" and was looking forward to a good shampoo. I  read on some of the other blogs that their reti's were done on dry hair.  Tayo shampooed me first then did my reti on wet/damp hair.  She noted that my locks were doing very well and that I didn't have any slippage or bunching/crawling. I had about a quarter of an inch of new growth.  I was also pleased that it only took her one hour and about forty-five minutes to shampoo me and complete my reti. She really works very fast and does and excellent job.  Also, I don't have as many locks as a lot of  others sistah's but the number I have is appropriate for my hair (density/etc.).  I was told to continue with the same routine of not putting anything in/on my hair, including water.  On my next visit in four weeks she will let me know if I can begin to add moisturizer, etc.  Everything has worked out well so far so I will continue to follow the instructions of my consultant.  She also clarified that it was okay for me to style my locks. YEEEEAAA!!!!  I guess I just didn't want to manipulate my locks too much at the beginning.  But I will try to do a little bit more with them.  Last night   ordered the Soft Spikes  I've read so much about.  I'm looking forward to getting them and testing them out.  The only small challenge I had today (Sunday) with my newly reti'd locks was with styling them because they were not as full as before the reti.  The finished result was a lot like the initial installation. I fluffed them out as best as I could...donned my "work your SLs attitude",  went out with confidence and  walked in the freedom and knowledge that this is my hair and I'm proud of the journey I'm on.  Wouldn't you know it.... I received several compliments at church today and one lady asked if I had sisterlocks, we talked about them and she asked for my consultant's contact information.  Sistah's, even on our challenging and unsure days, attitude goes a long way.  Overall, I ended my seventh week still in love with my locks, having learned to embrace my hair at all times and I am eagerly anticipating what the next week will hold for me.  I'm posting my before and after pics so you can see the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment

PHOTO COPYRIGHT

Please do not copy or reprint any of the photos from this blog
without my expressed written permission.